Tuesday 14 May 2013

Mothers Day Australia - 12th May 2013

On Sunday in Australia, it was Mothers Day. You may think it's just another day picked out by greeting card companies for commercial gain (and it may well be) but you don't necessarily have to think of it that way.

As a Mum, I am so looking forward to the day when me excited daughter comes home from school, bursting with pride as she presents me with a card that the has painstakingly made, glued, glittered, drawn, scissored and written on. Seeing her this year come running towards me with a huge grin and a box of chocolates made my heart melt. Isn't this what Mother's Day is all about? Personally, I don't care about presents. I wouldn't want a store bought present when my little girl has made me something with love - and I will display it with pride.

As a daughter, I don't need an excuse to tell my Mum I love her or how amazing she is. I appreciate the sacrifices she made for me every day, and I am thankful to call her my Mum every day. On Mothers Day, I get a fantastic excuse to spoil her (and tell her to sit down and stop helping). I get an excuse to write a letter to tell her how lucky I am to have her as my Mum and that's why I like Mothers Day.

Don't go commercially nuts on Mothers Day or boycott it completely. Take the day to thank your Mum for all she has done for you and tell her how much you appreciate her sacrifices. If you are a Mum, look into your children's eyes and thank them for what they have done for you. Remember fondly the cuddles, hugs and kisses and display all those pasta-necklaces, handmade cards and hand-picked 'flowers' (aka weeds from the garden) with pride.

Thanks for the graphic of one of my favourite quotes - https://www.facebook.com/KnowYourMidwife?fref=ts



~Bec

No comments:

Post a Comment